SCOA helps keep older adults connected throughout the pandemic and beyond.
The coronavirus outbreak has profoundly impacted the lives of older adults. They are at a high risk to become socially isolated due to necessary social distancing measures designed to keep them safe.
SCOA is socially connecting seniors through two initiatives:
- Telephone visits with those who are not able to use technology and are socially isolated.
Many older adults do not have the technology to interact virtually and are alone in their dwellings. They
lack opportunities to stay engaged and socialize with others. Phone visits are a way to connect and address this gap.
Participants are matched with friendly volunteers for visits over the phone. To register phone SCOA 306.652.2255
SCOA will reach out to retirement homes, congregate living, churches, special care homes to see who would
benefit from having a telephone buddy. If you know of someone who could benefit from this service please let us know!
2. Training older adults to connect using technology to maintain key contacts with family, friends and loved ones.
- Telephone support will be provided to older adults on how to use technology.
- In person lessons available at SCOA’s Resource Centre board room, strict safety protocols will be used with one instructor and one older adult.
- iPads available for loan to older adults to learn the basics either on their own with assistance from a friend or family member.
- Resources will be available on SCOA’s website including :training materials such as how to use an iPad, cell phone, lap top and desk top computer”how-to’s” to access resources and participate in programs; also training materials on using online platforms such as ZOOM
- SCOA will reach out to Recreational Directors at assisted living facilities to use ZOOM with a training manual provided. They would teach their residents one-on-one to use the platform and connect with friends and family. Depending on availability, iPads could be loaned to participant for set periods of time.
Technology training will be advertised widely through newsletters, posters, announcements and also reaching
out to retirement homes, congregate living, churches, and special care homes.
To register for a telephone buddy, one on one lessons or iPad lending library, phone 306.652.2255
Other programs to stay connected